For our first topic in year one, we will be learning all about Toys through the following subject areas: Science, History Design Technology, Computing, PSHE (Personal, social, health education) and Religious Education (RE).
As Scientists we will be:
- Investigating materials looking at what toys and everyday items are manufactured from and their properties.
- Conducting an investigation to consider why an object is made from a particular material and what would be the best material to make a waterproof coat.
- Finding out who is Charles Mackintosh and what was his famous product.
As Historians we will be:
- Exploring the questions 'What were toys like in the past? How and why have they changed?'
- Exploring old toys and comparing them to new ones, as well as having a visitor in to talk about her old toys.
As Design Technicians we will be:
- Looking at a range of puppets and talking about what we like and dislike about them.
- Look at moving puppets and take a closer look at how they move.
- Having a go at making a simple moving puppet before designing and making our own moving puppet.
As part of Computing we will be :
- Looking at how we can give directions.
- Inputting directions into a programmable toy.
- Having a go at looking for any mistakes in our algorithms and begin to debug our instructions.
As part of PSHE and RE we will be exploring these questions:
- What are our rules and responsibilities within our school community?
- What are consequences?
- Who is a Christian and what do they believe?
- What do Christians learn about God from bible stories?