Our new topic for the Autumn term is Toys! Gather your favourite teddies, plastic animals and Lego creations ready for this exciting learning adventure. We will be exploring the different areas of the curriculum through this engaging theme.
As readers and writers of English we will be:
- Exploring the story of The Smartest Giant in Town by Julia Donaldson.
- Revising Set 1, 2 and learning Set 3 sounds in phonics.
- Practising alternative sounds for spelling and tricky spelling rules.
- Practising letter and number formation as part of handwriting.
- Sequencing events from a story.
- Acting out different scenes and exploring what each character is like.
- Writing sentences using capital letters, finger spaces and full stops.
- Applying our phonic knowledge to segment and blend to read and write sentences.
As mathematicians we will be:
- practising our counting skills
- understanding one to one correspondence
- comparing amounts of objects and numbers
- looking at place value (the value of tens and ones)
As scientists we will be:
As Geographers we will be:
- Finding out the difference between a journey and a route
- thinking about journeys we make in our locality
- Using a digital map programme to plot a route to a key location
As learners of Religious Education we will be exploring these questions:
- Who is a Christian and what do they believe?
- What do Christians learn about God from the Bible?
As learners of PSHCE we will be:
- Looking at how to stay safe around household products
- Aware of road safety procedures
- Taking responsibility for our own safety by knowing when to say ‘yes’, ‘no’, ‘I’ll ask’ and ‘I’ll tell’
- Recognising and understanding changes since we were a baby
As Historians we will be:
- Asking and answering questions about the past
- Using sources to explore the past
- Beginning to explore why things change over time
- Describing some changes within living memory
As Musicians we will be:
- Exploring a famous composer
- Evaluating a piece of music
- Using body percussion to perform simple rhythmical patterns
As Design Technicians we will be:
- Exploring and using different mechanisms
- Creating a multi-point lever mechanism
- Designing, creating and evaluating a moving puppet
As Computing Technicians we will be:
- creating algorithms to give directions
- programming an electronic toy to follow instructions using our algorithm
- debugging the algorithm and editing any mistakes
- understanding uses of technology outside school