Was it once upon a mixed up time?
This half-term we are exploring all things fairy tales. Each week we are taking a different story and exploring the content of the books. We will be immersing ourselves into lots of writing, reading, retelling and play linked to each text.
Week 1 – Is it a good idea to build a house out of sweets?
Week 2 – Who is the gingerbread man?
Week 3 – Should the fox have eaten the gingerbread man?
Week 4 – Was the ugly duckling really ugly?
Week 5 – Is the big bad wolf in any other stories?
As communicators we will learning to...
- Use and understand vocabulary linked to fairy tales e.g. once upon a time, the end, happily ever after.
- Retell our key stories through play, drama and using puppets.
- Answer who, what, when, why and how questions linked to our key texts
As writers we will be learning to...
- Write sentences using our phonics linked to our key texts.
- Hold a pencil effectively and form pre-cursive letters.
- Spell red words correctly – I, the, to, no go.
As mathematicians we will be learning to...
- Create simple repeating patterns
- Double and halve numbers
- Recall number bonds to 5 and some to 10.
- Explore composition of numbers to 10 through play based activities.
As readers we will be learning to...
- Listen and talk about stories to build familiarity and understanding
- Engage in storytime and describe ideas and thoughts
- Articulate ideas, develop well-formed sentences and explain events in some detail
As explorers we will be learning to...
- Produce maps of our school areas
- Build mud sculptures and insect houses in our eco-area during forest school
- STEM learning through topic trap the witch, make a boat for the gingerbread man to get across, etc
As artists we will be learning to...
- design and build through junking modelling, construction and other media
- decorate our own sweet biscuits
- use different materials to draw and paint fairy tale characters