Was it once upon a mixed up time?
This half-term we are discussing and exploring traditional fairy tales. Each week we will be reading a different tale; exploring their characters and how the story develops and ends. We will be immersing ourselves into various writing and reading tasks to include retelling and expressive group and individual play linked to our stories.
Week 1 – Is it a good idea to build a house out of sweets?
Week 2 – Who is the gingerbread man?
Week 3 – Should the fox have eaten the gingerbread man?
Week 4 – Was the ugly duckling really ugly?
Week 5 – Is the big bad wolf in any other stories?
As communicators we will learning to...
- Use and understand vocabulary linked to fairy tales e.g. once upon a time, the end, happily ever after.
- Retell our key stories through play, drama and using puppets.
- Answer who, what, when, why and how questions linked to our key texts
As writers we will be learning to...
- Write sentences using our phonics linked to our key texts.
- Hold a pencil effectively and form pre-cursive letters.
- Spell red words correctly – I, the, to, no go.
As mathematicians we will be learning to...
- Create simple repeating patterns
- Double and halve numbers
- Recall number bonds to 5 and some to 10.
- Explore composition of numbers to 10 through play based activities.
As readers we will be learning to...
- Listen and talk about stories to build familiarity and understanding
- Engage in storytime and describe ideas and thoughts
- Articulate ideas, develop well-formed sentences and explain events in some detail
As explorers we will be learning to...
- Produce maps of our school areas
- Build mud sculptures and insect houses in our eco-area during forest school
- STEM learning through topic trap the witch, make a boat for the gingerbread man to get across, etc
As artists we will be learning to...
- design and build through junking modelling, construction and other media
- decorate our own sweet biscuits
- use different materials to draw and paint fairy tale characters