As authors we will be looking at FANTASY STORIES. We will be reading and retelling the story of The King of the Tiny Things.This is a fantasy story about a fairy who saves the lives of other creatures.
During this genre we will be:
- Reading and retelling the story using our own homemade fairies.
- Using adjectives to write character descriptions.
- Learning about and using adverbs
- Using apostrophes to show possession and contractions.
- Practising our handwriting to make sure our letters are correctly formed.
As Mathematicians we will be:
- Naming and describing properties of 2D and 3D shapes including number of sides, vertices, edges, faces and lines of symmetry.
- Identifying 1/4 , 1/3, ½, 2/4 and ¾ of a number or shape and know that all parts must be equal parts of the whole.
- Recalling multiplication and division facts for 2, 3, 5 and 10 and using them to solve simple problems, demonstrating knowledge of commutativity.
- Reading the time on a clock to the nearest 15 minutes.
- Finding the value of different coins.
- Using different coins to make the same amount.
As Scientists we will be:
- Finding out about and describing the basic needs of animals, including humans, for survival.
- Understanding that animals, including humans, have offspring which grow into adults.
- Using our observations and ideas to suggest answers to questions.
- Identifying and naming a variety of animals that are carnivores, herbivores and omnivores.
- Describing how animals obtain their food from plants and other animals.
- Developing simple food chains and name different sources of food.
- Exploring and comparing the differences between things that are living, dead and things that have never been alive.
- Identifying and naming a variety of common wild and garden plants.
- Identifying and naming a variety of deciduous and evergreen trees.
As Geographers we will be:
- Naming and identifying the location of the seven continents.
- Year 2 will locate the 5 big oceans of the world.
- Locating England and Kenya in relation to their continent position.
- Looking at the climate differences in England and Kenya, what is the weather like and temperature. Considering the effect location to the North and South Pole and the Equator affects the climate in these countries.
- Identifying African animals and how the landscape affects their choice of habitat.
- Using compass directions North, South, East and West, using these to identify location and move around an aerial plan grid.
- Identifying the different landscapes and environments in Africa.
- Comparing our lives to that of a child living in Kenya.
Miss Rose will share her photos and experiences of her trip to Africa.
As Computer Technicians we will be:
- Using iMovie to become storytellers
- Learning how to stay safe online
As Artists we will be:
- Studying the sculptor and photographer Andy Goldsworthy.
- We will learn about our artists work and give our opinions on it.
- We will use his work as inspiration for our own.
- We will be using natural resources to print a class picture.
- We design and create 3D artwork and take photos of them.
- We will evaluate our finished artwork.
As Design Technologists we will be:
- Learning about healthy snacks.
- Looking at a range of snacks available to buy in shops and analyse them for taste, appearance and how healthy they are.
- We will then learn food preparation skills ready to design and make our own fruit snacks.
- We will evaluate our final product.
As Musicians we will be:
- Singing and performing songs.
- Learning about different music terminology.
- Learning different notes to play on the ukelele.
- Learning and performing tunes on the ukelele.
Watch out for the dates of our performance so you can come and watch.
As Explorers of Religious Education we will be:
- Looking at the big question: 'What can we learn from sacred books?'
- Recognising that sacred texts contain stories that are special to many people
- Retelling stories from different sacred texts and suggesting what they mean
- Asking questions and talking about issues of good, bad,right or wrong.
As Sports People we will be:
- Improving our co-ordination and movement.
- Learning new isolated moves.
- Learning short sequences.
- Choreographing our own short sequences.
- Performing and evaluating our dances.
In PE we will be learning and performing new dances in Street Dance with Becky on a Monday as well as trying out some new Invasion Games.