Monstrous Mountains and Raging Rivers
As Mathematicians this term, we will be learning about multiplication and division. We will be:
- Multiplying by 1 digit.
- Multiplying by 2 digits.
- Dividing 4 digits by 1 digit.
- Dividing with Remainders.
In Spring 2, we will be learning about fractions, decimals and percentages. We will be:
- Finding equivalent fractions.
- Adding and subtracting fractions with different denominators.
- Finding fractions of amounts.
- Converting between fractions, decimals and percentages.
As Writers this term, we will be focusing on adventure stories. We will be:
- Learning about the parts of an adventure story.
- Focusing on modal verbs and relative clauses.
- Applying precise nouns and adjectives.
- Learning about spelling pattern - ant, ance, ancy / ent, ence, ency
In Spring 2, we will be focusing on diary entries. We will be:
- Learning about the features of a diary entry and reading a wide range of examples.
- Revising the simple past and present perfect tense.
- Applying relative clauses to our sentences.
- Learning about homophones and near homophones.
As Scientists, we will be:
- Looking at the properties of materials.
- Understanding the changes in states of matter.
- Recognising reversible and irreversible changes.
- Exploring evaporation and dissolving.
- Separating materials using sieving, filtering and evaporating.
- Carrying out an investigation focusing on the rate of dissolving.
- Researching how new materials are created and looking at the discoveries of famous scientists.
- Visiting a science laboratory to carry out investigations and learn about irreversible reactions where new materials are made.
As Geographers, we will be:
- Exploring the course of a river and identifying the features of rivers.
- Investigating about rivers and how they erode, transport and deposit materials.
- Understand why rivers are important to people around the world.
- Look in detail at a particular river and its impact on the people and landscape around.
- Comparing different rivers around the world with the Nile in Egypt.
- Explaining the water cycle.
- Studying the causes of river pollution and the effect it has on the environment.
- Understanding the nature of a river and how it erodes and changes on its journey from source to sea
Understanding how the mountain ranges of the world were formed
Understanding the composition of the earth: crust, mantle, and core.
Locating mountains on a UK map and a world map.
Finding out the positive and negative aspects of tourism in mountain environments.
As Design Technicians, we will be:
- Understanding the four different types of bridges.
- Investigating the best ways to strengthen structures.
- Researching ideas to suit our design brief.
- Using skills to build our own bridges.
As Computer Technicians, we will be:
- Becoming aware of the benefits and dangers of social media.
- Planning and creating a blog post about a river we have been studying.
- Understanding how to use the green screen and camera to make a vlog.
As Musicians, we will be:
- Identifying instruments used within a musical composition.
- Making creative use of the way sounds can be changed, organised and controlled.
- Creating our own composition following the journey of a river.
As PSHE Citizens, we will:
- Explore the effects alcohol, drugs and tobacco have on the body.
- Describe the parts of the body affected by drugs.
- Be aware of the parts of the body affected by alcohol.
- Talk through the parts of the body affected by smoking.
- Understand how scientific ideas can change people’s ideas