In Communication and Language Development we will be learning to:
- use word endings (e.g. going, cats).
- Identify action words by pointing to the right picture, e.g., "Who's jumping?”
- Show interest in play with sounds, songs and rhymes.
- Develop understanding of simple concepts (e.g. big/little).
- Learn new words very rapidly and is able to use them in communicating.
- follow directions (if not intently focused on own choice of activity).
- Understand use of objects (e.g. “What do we use to cut things?’).
- Build up vocabulary that reflects the breadth of their experiences.
In Physical Development we will be learning to:
- use three fingers (tripod grip) to hold writing tools.
- begin to be independent in self-care, but still often needs adult support.
- Draw lines and circles using gross motor movements.
- Use one-handed tools and equipment, e.g. makes snips in paper with child scissors.
- Dress with help, e.g. puts arms into open-fronted coat or shirt when held up, pulls up own trousers, and pulls up zipper once it is fastened at the bottom.
In Personal, Social and Emotional Development we will be learning to:
- Express our own preferences and interests.
- inhibit own actions/behaviours, e.g. stop ourselves from doing something they shouldn’t do.
- Shows affection and concern for people who are special to them.
- become more outgoing towards unfamiliar people and more confident in new social situations.
- Begin to accept the needs of others and can take turns and share resources, sometimes with support from others.
- Demonstrate friendly behaviour, initiating conversations and forming good relationships with peers and familiar adults.
In Literacy we will be learning to:
- Enjoy rhyming and rhythmic activities.
- Show awareness of rhyme and alliteration
- Recognise rhythm in spoken words.
- Ascribe meanings to marks that they see in different places.
In Mathematics we will be learning to:
- Recite some number names in sequence.
- Create and experiment with symbols and marks representing ideas of number.
- Notice simple shapes and patterns in pictures.
- Begin categorising objects according to properties such as shape or size
In Understand The World we will be learning to:
- Learn that they have similarities and differences that connect them to, and distinguish them from, others.
- Notice detailed features of objects in their environment.
- Seek to acquire basic skills in turning on and operating equipment.
Know some of the things that make them unique, and can talk about some of the similarities and differences in relation to friends or family.
Talk about some of the things they have observed such as plants, animals, natural and found objects.
Know that information can be retrieved from computers.
In Expressive Arts and Design we will be learning to:
- Experiment with blocks, colours and marks
- Explore colour and how colours can be changed.
- Understand that they can use lines to enclose a space, and then begin to use these shapes to represent objects.
- begin to show an interest in and describe the texture of things.
- Capture experiences and responses with a range of media, such as music, dance and paint and other materials or words.