Raging Rivers and Monstrous Mountains
This half term our topic lessons shall be exploring everything to do with rivers!
As writers within Literacy we will be:
- Learning how to spell a range of hyphenated words
- Recognising different forms of the past tense including: simple past, past perfect and past progressive and apply them all into our writing
- Understanding the purpose of diary entries and why they are written
- Exploring the structure and language features of diary entries
- Writing our own diary entries that link to the work we will be doing within topic
As Mathematicians we will be focusing on decimals (up to 3 decimal places):
- Multiplying by 10, 100 and 1,000
- Dividing by 10, 100 and 1,000
- Multiplying decimals by integers
- Dividing decimals by integers
- Using division to solve problems
- Finding decimals as fractions
- Turning fractions into decimals
As Scientists we will be:
- Recognising that changing states of matter is a reversible change.
- Understanding that some materials dissolve to form a solution and that this can be reversed.
- Exploring evaporation and how it helps us to separate soluble solids from liquids.
- Separating materials using filtering,sieving and evaporating.
As Geographers we will be:
- Exploring the formation of a river and its key features along its course
- Finding out about rivers and how they erode, transport and deposit materials
- Exploring reasons as to why rivers are important to people all around the world
- Researching a particular river in great detail and the impacts it has on its people and landscape around
- Comparing rivers with that of the Nile, in Egypt
- Understanding and explaining the water cycle and how it feeds a river
- Finding out about the causes of river pollution and the effect it has on the environment
As Design Technicians we will be:
- Exploring the basic types of bridge designs and be able to give examples
- Investigating factors that influence a bridge's design e.g. load, materials and shape
- Finding ways to strengthen a structure
- Researching ideas to fit our design brief
- Build and manufacture our own bridge following our design brief
As Computer Technicians we will be:
- Recognising the benefits and dangers of social media
- Understanding what a blog is and its purpose
- Planning and creating a blog post about the river we have been studying.
- Watching the vlogs of others and understand how to leave appropriate comments
- Understanding how we flag and/or report comments we are not comfortable with
- Understanding how to use the green screen and camera to create a Vlog.
As Musicians we will be:
- Recognising the instruments used within a classical composition
- Knowing that sounds can be made in different ways and through different instruments
- Making creative use of the way sounds can be changed, organised and controlled.
- Creating our own composition following the journey of a river, using repetition and musical patterns