In our new topic for Autumn 1, we will be learning all about the history of the fun fair and how it has evolved over time. Please take a look at the Year 5 objectives we will be covering this term…
As Mathematicians, we will:
· understand place value
· explore methods for addition and subtraction
· use statistics
· explore methods for multiplication and division
· convert measures and find the perimeter and area of a given shape
· understand and find fractions of a number
· explore properties of shape
· describe the position and direction of a given shape
As Scientists, we will:
● construct simple circuits, identifying and naming basic parts.
● become familiar with how to use symbols for the different elements of a circuit.
● learn how to associate the brightness of a lamp with the voltage of cells in a circuit.
● learn how to associate the loudness of a buzzer with the voltage of cells in a circuit.
● use our knowledge of circuits to design a suitable circuit or a fairground ride.
● learn the difference between a series and parallel circuit, identifying the advantages and disadvantages of each type.
● become electricians to figure out how to mend broken circuits.
● learn where electricity comes from, focusing on renewable and non-renewable energy sources.
● become familiar with the scientists Alessandro Volta and Thomas Edison.
As Religious Education learners, we will:
● be able to define the terms theist, atheist and agnostic and give examples of statements that reflect these beliefs.
● give reasons why a Christian believes in God and an atheist does not.
● outline clearly a Christian understanding of what God is like, using examples and evidence.
● give examples of the ways in which believing about God is valuable in the lives of Christians and ways in which it can be challenging.
● express thoughtful ideas about the impact of believing or not believing in God on someone’s life.
● present different views on why people believe in God or not.
As Musicians, we will:
● listen to and appraise a range of music.
● understand tempo, rhythm and beat.
● learn a variety of skills using African drums
● play in time with the rhythm of the music.
● appraise music from a variety of composers including classical composers.
As Spanish learners, we will:
● recap how to greet others and introduce ourselves.
● ask someone’s name and reply with your own name.
● ask how someone is and reply with how you are feeling.
● learn to count to 20.
● recognise a range of colours in Spanish.
● read a variety of Spanish words.
● Write phrases and full sentences in Spanish.
As Mathematicians, we will:
● read and partition numbers up to ten million.
● compare and order numbers by size.
● round numbers to the nearest ten, hundred, thousand, ten thousand and hundred thousand.
● add and subtract along a negative number line.
● revise formal methods of column addition and subtraction.
● multiply two, three and four digit numbers by one and two digit numbers.
● divide four digit numbers by one digit numbers, finding remainders.
● develop the use of long division with more complex numbers.
● find common factors and multiples of numbers.
● work with the prime numbers up to 100.
● investigate square and cube numbers.
● learn how to use brackets to order calculations.
We are writers: (Formal Leaflets)
In Literacy we will be:
· Reading and discussing a range of formal leaflets
· Understanding the key features of formal leaflets
· Understanding the audience of a formal leaflet
· Unpicking a formal leaflet and finding the key parts
· Creating our own formal leaflet
· Writing our own formal leaflets
· Editing and improving our work
· Presenting our leaflets to the class
We are Basketball Players
In PE we will be enjoying Basketball sessions. These will include:
· Understanding the importance of warming up and cooling down
· Controlling a basketball with both hands
· Protecting the ball under pressure
· Knowing how to use my body to protect the ball
· Passing the ball, having good techniques of having a target, receiving the pass, stepping in the direction of the pass at a chest pass and a bounce pass
· Knowing how to create space to receive a pass
· Using different skills such as varying speed and direction to get past defenders
· Marking a player to limit chances for the opposition
· Working as a team to create shooting opportunities
Dribbling, passing and shooting the basketball using the correct technique to play in a game
We are inventors
In Design Technology we will be:
· Using important mechanisms with belts and pulleys
· Generating ideas my own carousel design
· Designing, evaluating and making a model of a carousel ride
· Using electrical systems such as motors
· Using mechanical systems such as pulleys, cams and gears
· Measuring materials accurately to cut
· Building a framework to support my mechanism
We are Web Page Designers:
In ICT this term we shall be designing and creating our own website. We will: -
● Explore the reliability of search engines and how they rank results
● Practise the skills of website design
● Design our own website
● Make and evaluate our website.
We are committed to our Health and Wellbeing:
In PSHE this term we will:
● develop strategies for getting support for yourself or for others at risk
● know how to use a range of basic first aid procedures and how to get help in a range of emergency situations.
● develop strategies for keeping safe online and to know how to spot and deal with suspicious content.
● learn the different ways of achieving and celebrating personal goals
● understand that having high aspirations can support personal achievements
● learn how to manage conflicting or complex emotions.
● be aware of your own self-image and how your body fits into that.
● identify what you are looking forward to with becoming a teenager and understand that this brings growing responsibilities (age of consent)
● learn about change, including transitions (between key stages and schools), loss, separation, divorce and bereavement.
● describe the different role that food plays in people’s lives and explain how people can develop eating problems (disorders) relating to body image pressures
● understand what makes a balanced lifestyle and to know which choices to make for good health – both physical and mental.