In Communication and Language Development we will be learning to:
- Single channelled attention. Can shift to a different task if attention fully obtained –using child’s name helps focus.
- Listens to others one-on-one or in small groups, when conversation interests them.
- Understands ‘who’, ‘what’, ‘where’ in simple questions (e.g. Who’s that? What’s that? Where is?).
- Uses language as a powerful means of widening contacts, sharing feelings, experiences and thoughts
- Focusing attention –still listen or do, but can shift own attention.
- Is able to follow directions (if not intently focused on own choice of activity).
- Beginning to understand ‘why’ and ‘how’ questions.
- Uses vocabulary focused on objects and people that are of particular importance to them.
- Builds up vocabulary that reflects the breadth of their experiences.
In Physical Development we will be learning to:
- Show control in holding and using jugs to pour, hammers, books and mark-making tools.
- Begin to use three fingers (tripod grip) to hold writing tools
- Become more independent in self-care, but may still need adult support.
- Draws lines and circles using gross motor movements.
- Use one-handed tools and equipment, e.g. makes snips in paper with child scissors.
- Understand that equipment and tools have to be used safely.
In Personal, Social and Emotional Development we will be learning to:
- Separate from main carer with support and encouragement from a familiar adult.
- Express our own preferences and interests.
- Show understanding and cooperates with some boundaries and routines.
- Show affection and concern for people who are special to them.
- Select and use activities and resources with help.
- Welcome and values praise for what they have done.
- Adapt behaviour to different events, social situations and changes in routine.
- Demonstrate friendly behaviour, initiating conversations and forming good relationships with peers and familiar adults.
In Literacy we will be learning to:
- Repeat words or phrases from familiar stories.
- Distinguish between the different marks we make.
- Show interest in illustrations and print in books and print in the environment.
- Sometime gives meaning to marks as we draw and paint.
In Mathematics we will be learning to:
- Recite some number names in sequence.
- Create and experiment with symbols and marks representing ideas of number.
- Notice simple shapes and patterns in pictures.
- Begin categorising objects according to properties such as shape or size.
- Begin using the language of size.
- Use some number names and number language spontaneously.
- Use some number names accurately in play.
- Show an interest in shape by sustained construction activity or by talking about shapes or arrangements.
- Show an interest in shapes in the environment.
In Understand The World we will be learning to:
- Talk about our own immediate family and relations.
- Imitate everyday actions and events from own family through pretend play.
- Notice detailed features of objects in our environment.
- Show an interest in the lives of people who are familiar to us.
- Remember and talks about significant events in our own experiences.
- Comment and asks questions about aspects of our familiar world such as the place where we live or the natural world.
In Expressive Arts and Design we will be learning to:
- Experiment with blocks, colours and marks.
- Begin using representation to communicate, e.g. drawing a line and saying ‘That’s me’.
- Understand that we can use lines to enclose a space, and then begin to use these shapes to represent objects.