The INTENT of our MFL curriculum is:
To create an inclusive, engaging and rigorous MFL curriculum, which enables children to develop skills needed to communicate and understand other languages as well as explore the etymology of words from the English language. Through a range of experiences children will develop their cultural understanding, inspiring them to become considerate and thoughtful world-wide citizens.
The national curriculum for languages aims to ensure that all pupils:
- understand and respond to spoken and written language from a variety of authentic sources
- speak with increasing confidence, fluency and spontaneity, finding ways of communicating what they want to say, including through discussion and asking questions, and continually improving the accuracy of their pronunciation and intonation
- can write at varying length, for different purposes and audiences, using the variety of grammatical structures that they have learnt
- discover and develop an appreciation of a range of writing in the language studied
The IMPLEMENTATION of the MFL curriculum:
- A knowledge led approach ensures children have the opportunities to develop French vocabulary and then apply this to a range of challenges, showing them purpose of their learning.
- By studying another language we encourage children to explore the etymology of English words, supporting them in developing their vocabulary used in other subject areas which enables them to become articulate learners.
- Our curriculum provides opportunities for all children to foster their own curiosity and deepen their understanding of the wider world. Children enjoy experiences where we invite visitors into the school, hold whole school assemblies e.g. European Language Day and by celebrating our differences during MFL sessions.
- Learning is done through enquiry-focused classrooms where we encourage all children to be collaborative, enabling pupils to express their ideas and thoughts in another language and to understand and respond to other speakers.
- Children are provided with stimulating and engaging resources linked with MFL to help to embed key concepts in their long-term memory which they can apply fluently.
- Strong links with two local high schools have been created to ensure children feel prepared to continue their learning of MFL in the future. We have looked closely into the spoken and written language skills the children need to be confident in at KS2 so that they can continue to be successful when they move into KS3.